9/02/2010

"I go to work"

Share





Adam Michael Goldstein (March 30, 1973 – August 28, 2009) was an American club DJ and musician better known as DJ AM. On August 28th, 2009 the DJ world just lost one of its brightest shining stars. We also lost a phenomenal DJ. Whenever a purist naysayer tried to doubt him, I’d reply: “AM’s career is where it is for a reason.” My man worked hard. I remember an old (admittedly low-fi) version of what was probably his first website. It had the AC/DC-inspired logo and when your mouse hovered over a button it played the classic Kool Moe Dee sample: “I go to WORK!” That exemplified 2 sides of AM: 1) he wasn’t a new jack, he loved the old school, and 2) literally, he worked his ass off! For some reason, in the DJ-geek community AM wasn’t necessarily regarded as a turntablist; maybe because he didn’t do the DMC’s, maybe because he played jiggy clubs. But watch any DJ that used to do the DMC’s play in a regular club and watch AM spin, I guarantee you that Adam freaked his records more. Playing those glitzy Hollywood and Las Vegas clubs is not easy, trust me. This guy was DJ’ing in a hostile territory and managed to play the most fast-paced, scratch-happy, genre-hopping sets you could find. He could have easily settled for spinning the hits, but he used to tell me: “I get bored”. So he set the bar higher for himself and never stopped striving. He genuinely loved music and DJing. (DJ A-Trak remembering DJ AM)

Enjoy this great Tribute Mix by Anthony D from Atlanta, Georgia. Luv it...




Ah Yeah! A DJ AM Tribute by DJ Anthony D (click the arrow on the right of the player to download)



No comments:

Post a Comment